At the Church:
Blessing of the chalk
+Loving God, bless this chalk which you have created, that it may be helpful to your people; and grant that through the invocation of your most Holy Name all who use it in faith to write upon the doors of their homes the names of your saints, Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar, may receive health of body and protection of soul for all who enter in or visit their homes; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
In the home/apartment (May be prayed with family, friends or alone on the feast of the Epiphany or any time during the Christmas season)
- Optional hymn—“O come all ye faithful”; “We three kings of orient”
- Introduction— Peace be to this house and all who dwell here. In the name of the Father….
- Optional reading of the Gospel of Matthew 2: 1 and 2, 9 to 11. The Gospel of the Lord.
- Marking of door post and sprinkling of holy water if available.
- Marking of doorway —(as one writes: 20+C+M+B+19, one reader explains): The three Wise men Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar followed the star of God’s Son who became human two thousand and eighteen years ago. May Christ bless our home and remain with us through this new year.
- Our Father…
- Greetings of Peace
- Let us pray: Visit, O blessed Lord, this home with the gladness of your presence. Bless all who live or visit here with the gift of your love; and grant that we may manifest your love to each other and to all whose lives we touch. May we grow in grace and in the knowledge and love of you; Guide, comfort, and strengthen us to peace, O Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen
- Concluding hymn