The act of requesting Baptism for your child is in itself a sign of faith! God’s very nature is to share life and love. “Christian parents will recognize that this practice [bringing their child to Baptism] also accords with their role as nurturers of the life that God has entrusted to them.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1251) This sacramental process is designed to enable parents to understand more fully their responsibility to nurture the grace of the sacrament.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions! Please read our FAQ which has quick answers to common questions about Godparent(s), Marriage Validation, non-Catholics, etc.
- Complete "Initial Infant Baptismal Info" this document will officially begin the process!
- Submit a copy of the child's Birth Certificate
- Attend Baptism Prep Signup online .
- Ensure Godparent(s) have submitted the Certificate of Eligibility form to Good Shepherd.
Baptism Classes are held once a month on Saturdays from 9:30am – 12 noon at the parish. When you arrive, check in at the Parish Office Reception desk for classroom assignment. You may also attend a class at a neighboring parish. If so, we'll need a verification of attendance.
- Once you’ve completed steps 1-3 AND Good Shepherd has received the Godparent(s) Certificate of Eligibility, the Liturgy department will contact you to supply ceremony details and to schedule the baptism.
- Please do not make travel plans prior to receiving contact from the Liturgy Department to schedule your Baptism date.
- Baptisms are scheduled the third Sunday of the month at 12:30pm. (first Sundays starting 8/1/22)
- No Baptisms are scheduled during Lent and Holy week.
DO YOU BELONG TO ANOTHER PARISH?
- Parents who do not belong to GSCC must provide documentation from their parish indicating permission from their Pastor for the Baptism to be celebrated at GSCC.
- Certificate of Eligibility
- Parishioner of GSCC: fill out your portion and submit form to the office.
- Parishioner from another parish: fill out your portion and have your Parish Priest verify sacraments, fill out his portion, sign it, and seal it with their Parish Seal (embossed/stamp). The original must be submitted to the Good Shepherd parish office Attn: Nic Gutierrez.
- If able, attend Baptism Prep Class” (cf. CIC 851.2)
GUIDELINES FOR CHOOSING GODPARENTS (CANON 872-874)
- Only one Godparent is required, but if you decide to have two, you must choose one male and one female.
- The Godparents may not also be the parents of the child. A Godparent must be at least 16 years of age.
- A Godparent must have received all of the Catholic Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, First Communion, and Confirmation.
- A Godparent must be a practicing Catholic; that is, living the Faith by regular Mass attendance, etc.
- If married, a Godparent must be in a union recognized as valid by the Catholic Church.
- If unmarried, a Godparent may not be cohabiting.
- A Baptized non-Catholic may stand alongside the sponsor in the ceremony as a "Christian Witness."
SUBMIT ITEMS TO:
Administrative Assistant for Faith Formation
Good Shepherd Catholic Community
Attn: Katie Downey 1000 Tinker Road
Colleyville, Texas 76034